There are 2 versions to this recipe. This can be done vegan and it can also be done non vegan. See Below:
1st off preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Start off marinading the chicken then chop your veg.
- 1 1/4 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil or butter diced(should be in the thick and hard consistency not warmed liquified)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup of ice water (water needs to be cold so it doesn’t melt the oil/butter too much as you mix it)
Tofu or Chicken marinade:
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp cardamon
- Juice and zest of half a lemon
- 1 fresh garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package of tofu or 1 large chicken breast chopped into cubes.
Veg for the pie:
- 2 large carrots finely chopped
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- 1/4 a large sweet potato finely chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 5 mushrooms of your choice chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced or chopped
Flavors for the pie
- 3 or 4 tblspoons of Garam Masala
- Lemon zest of half a lemon
- 1 cup of veg stock or chicken stock
- salt and pepper
Mix all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Chop up your tofu or chicken into cubes and put into the bowl and make sure every piece is entirely covered and put into the fridge for about 10 minutes while you chop the rest of the veg.
Now make the pie crust by chopping up the hard butter or coconut oil into the flour on a large cutting board. When it is properly combined it will be a very flaky consistency. Now add the water in a bit at a time and mix together with the flour and oil/butter and knead together for a couple of minutes. You will end up with a smooth semi flaky crust. If too dry – add more water if to moist add more flour until you reach desired crust consistency.
When it’s all good to go put the tofu or chicken in an oiled pan (use coconut oil for best results) on medium heat and let cook until it’s just finished cooking through. Tofu will look slightly brown (5 to 7 minutes) then you can turn over to cook the other side. Chicken will just be not pink in the middle when it’s done. Once the protein is done put to the side and cook all the veg for about 10 minutes on medium heat then mix it all together with the stock, garam masala and lemon zest for about 5 minutes. I usually add flour to thicken it all so it’s more like a gravy on the inside of the pie. 1 -3 tablespoons of flour. Salt and Pepper to taste.
Add all of the ingredients to a deep oven safe dish then cover with the pie crust and keep it simple or make a funny design.
Bake for about 1 hour or until crust has completely cooked on the top and then eat the entire thing.